Click me for more information!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Drawing The Standard: An Interview With Jonathan Rector

Hey guys!

I wanted to make a quick blog post, plugging a recent interview I completed with the writer of The Standard, John Lees. Thanks again John, I had a great time!


If you’ve seen last week’s preview for The Standard #1, and the great collection of original artwork that’s been cropping up on this blog since it began, you’ll already know how important the contribution of Jonathan Rector has been to The Standard.  The incredibly talented Canadian artist has worked previously on Kord & Harley for Arcana Comics and Political Powers: Joe Biden for Bluewater Productions, and his art will soon be seen in Jamie Gambell’s superhero upcoming comic The Hero Code.  But in my biased opinion, he’s been producing some of his best work ever for The Standard, and even if the story hasn’t grabbed your interest, I’d still recommend you pick up this comic just to marvel at the stunning artwork Jon has delivered for this comic.
Jonathan Rector has agreed to take time out of his busy schedule (I know his schedule is busy because of I’m the one making him draw all these pages) to do an interview for this blog.

John Lees: Okay, we’ll start with the boring biographical bit that I’m sure is asked in every interview ever.  What made you first decide you wanted to be a comic book artist?

First, thanks for the interview John!   It’s been a wild ride working with you, and everyone on The Standard.  I fully agree with you, I’ve been having a blast working on the project, and seeing it to fruition is a great feeling.
As for what made me get into comics, it’s a little long, so I’ll try to shorten it up.  When I was younger, my family and I moved back to Windsor, Ontario.  My mom and I were walking around the small little town of Tecumseh, and we stopped into a comic book store.  I remember buying something like 10 copies of X-Men.  The one with the 4 page fold out cover, drawn by Jim Lee.  It wasn’t so much as the comics that made me go back, but the environment.  The “nerds and geeks” people called them.  I called it a second home.  My brother and I made a lot of friends there, playing Magic the Gathering, and leafing through comics from the shelves.

...check out the rest of the interview here!

No comments: